Happy Valentine's Day!
I thought I would share a little Valentine's day history and a few fun facts with you today. Be sure to stop by tomorrow for a chance at some Valentine's day scrapbook bling!
- Long before St. Valentine lived, February 14th had strong links with fertility. The date traditionally is known for when birds choose their mates.
- Roman festival of Lupercalia used to be celebrated on February 15th where young men held a lottery to conclude which girl would be theirs.
- In Medieval times, girls ate bizarre foods on St Valentine's Day to make them dream of their future spouse.
- In the Middle Ages, there was a belief that the first unmarried person of the opposite sex you met on the morning of St. Valentine's Day would become your spouse.
- The first Valentine gift was believed to be sent by Duke of Orleans to his wife, after he was captured in 1415.
- 73% of Valentine Day flowers are bought by men, whereas women buy only 23% of Valentine flowers.
- Around 3% of pet owners prefer to give Valentine gifts to their pets, as they are more grateful than humans!
Hope you all have a great day celebrating the loves of your life!