I have been making these delicious cookies for the last few years and hope you'll try them and love them. A friend of mine that I used to teach with gave it to me and it quickly became a favorite of ours. I look forward to making these cookies every year and enjoy them even more with a cup of coffee the next day.
1 cup sugar
1 cup butter
1 cup molasses
1 tablespoon white vinegar
5 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon ginger
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon cloves
1/4 teaspoon salt
1. Cream sugar and butter together.
2. Pour molasses over sugar mixture. Add vinegar and stir until well blended.
3. Add egg to molasses mixture.
4. Sift dry ingredients together. Gradually add to molasses mixture. Mix well. Cover and chill dough for at least an hour.
5. Heat oven to 375.
6. Grease cookie sheets lightly. Roll dough 1/4" thick and cut gingerbread men with floured cutter. (I like the cookies slightly thicker so they end up super soft and cakey.)
Bake 8-10 minutes
Yields 36 3" gingerbread men.
I hope you enjoy this recipe! Happy baking!