I thought I'd share a really yummy dessert with you today. This recipe uses some pre-made items to create a fabulous and company worthy dessert. This is great by itself but even better with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. This isn't my original recipe, I am very thankful that a scrappy friend of mine, Shaina, posted it on her blog sometime last year. :) And don't ask how I know (cough cough) but it's delicious with some coffee the next morning.
1 box yellow cake mix
1 can cherry pie filling
1 stick of butter (divided into 6 TBSP and 2 TBSP)
1 1/3 cup oats (divided into 1 cup and 1/3 cup)
1/2 cup chopped nuts ( I have used walnuts and pecans)
2 TBS brown sugar
1. Pre heat your oven to 350 degrees.
2. Mix together the cake mix, 6 TBSP melted butter and 1 cup of oats in a bowl.
3. Measure and take out 1 1/4 cups of the mixture. Set aside for later.
4. Add one egg to the remaining mixture and then press it into the bottom of a greased 8 x 11 pan.
5. Spread the cherry pie filling over the top.
6. Combine the reserved cake mixture with 2 TBSP of melted butter, 1/3 cup of oats, 1/2 cup of nuts, and 2 TBSP brown sugar. Sprinkle this on top of the cherry filling.
7. Bake at 350 for about 30-40 minutes (depending on your oven) until it's a light golden brown.
8. Allow to cool for a few minutes before cutting and serving. These are devine with a scoop of ice cream but also great by themselves.