Monday, August 10, 2009

Baking in the crock pot!

It's been much too hot around here to bake much in the oven and we've missed munching on tasty quick breads. Sooo, I thought I'd try to bake some bread in my crock pot and it worked! The first loaf I cooked was overdone (but we just cut off the hard parts and ate it anyway!). I think the second one turned out just about right. I love this idea because the crock pot doesn't heat up my house like my oven does.


How to bake quick breads in your Crock Pot
~Use a recipe that you love and already know turns out well for you.
~Cook the loaf on HIGH for 4 hours then check it. Mine needed another 15-20 minutes.
~Vent the lid just a bit with a chopstick to let the extra moisture escape.
**Now, I still think the bread turns out better in the oven, but this definitely is a good substitute when it's just too HOT to turn on the oven!!!

Happy baking!


3 comments:

Jayne said...

Cool idea!

Jeanne said...

Love it! I've baked meat loaf and roasted chicken in ours during the hot summer weather.

Sandee said...

Wow, that is a great idea. I don't have A/C and it is hard to cook sometimes with the heat. Luckily, this summer was awesome in Ohio.
Sandee Q.
http://my-moment-in-time.blogspot.com/